We are two ladies, born 14 hours apart, now living 1600 miles apart, both struggling with weight loss. The Knitter lives a fairly tech-savvy lifestyle full of apps and gadgets. Megamom lives a more rural lifestyle, full of lakes and trails. Both of us have lots of distractions: Megamom has 10 kids! The Knitter has...a very large cat. Both of us can make a long list of things that keep us from eating well and working out, but we both want to change that - with the unique tools that each of us has.

We're not competitive at all. No. Not us. At all.

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Slightly less Gadget like

While the knitter is chock full of gadgets and apps -- I most certainely am not. I have a few beloved gadgets that I love but I didnt start running with them. When I started the Couch to 5k program, I didnt even own an mp3 player. I ran most of the program without one. My husband who was also doing the program with me, had an mp3 player and he would call out the instructions from the podcast. Somewhere along the line, hubster bought me an mp3 player. I was so ungadgetlike that I wasnt even sure I would like it. It turned out I did :). Mine is fairly simple sport rca model that has an arm band that works well for running. While I started without one, I find it much harder to run without one now, especially on the longer runs. Originally I did all my runs with a watch and mapped the route using the website, running ahead. That would give me mileage and a pace time. Running really only takes a good pair of running shoes. I started eying the garmin forerunners. I price checked all over the internet before I found the model I wanted. I ended up with the garmin forerunner 305. While the newer 405 at the time was sleeker and cool; the price point made the decision for me. I love my garmin! I use the heart rate strap with it frequently and try to keep within a good zone for some of my runs. I guess the other thing that I wouldnt do without are my asics shoes. After trying on a pair 2 yrs ago, I wont go back ... they are fantastic. So well .. .not really techy but again Im ungadgetlike one :) I use a couple of websites regularly to help with my tracking. Running ahead is a great one for tracking mileage both with running and biking. I also use My daily plate on livestrong to track my calories as I go thruout the day. Whats your favorite gadget that you cant live without? Megamom

2 comments:

  1. I'm not very gadgety either... never run with an mp3... no garmin or anything (I like to have my watch with me :))

    that being said, I couldn't live without my dailymile.com account :) I track all my runs and workouts there and love it.

    Can't wait to read more about you and the knitter's journey! I too am a knitter... and a runner... and started the running to lose weight (sitting on a 20 pound loss now... yay!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome Mathgeek00 -- the thing with gadgets sometimes is that we end up relying on them and forget how to run without them.

    Awesome job on the weight loss -- keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete