We are two ladies, born 14 hours apart, now living 1600 miles apart, both struggling with weight loss. The Knitter lives a fairly tech-savvy lifestyle full of apps and gadgets. Megamom lives a more rural lifestyle, full of lakes and trails. Both of us have lots of distractions: Megamom has 10 kids! The Knitter has...a very large cat. Both of us can make a long list of things that keep us from eating well and working out, but we both want to change that - with the unique tools that each of us has.

We're not competitive at all. No. Not us. At all.

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Saying thanks but no thanks

One of the challenging aspects of trying to lose weight for me is the fact the rest of my family is not. My family isnt out deliberatly trying to sabatoge me but they arent out to be very helpful either. The kids love fruit so much they eat it faster than I can purchase it. Dont get me wrong, they also love little debbie snacks and junk just as much as I do. Thats not so helpful either. My current lunch that I have every day is a ciabatta roll, deli turkey, baby spinach and red peppers. Sometimes i cook up fresh mushrooms to eat on the side. I find it helpful to eat the same thing, every day. If im still enjoying it and its working calorie wise, why not? So while today I was tempted to eat leftover chili from last night, I went for my sandwich anyway. My husband for the past two days has been enjoying leftover enchiladas. They were yummy the first night albeit full of calories! He kept asking whether or not I was having enchiladas. He just couldnt understand why I wasnt eating such yumminess. Thats where Im learning to say thanks but no thanks. Other times, I dont do so well. This weekend, we were at Menards and he said grab a box of pot of gold chocolates. He didnt do that to throw off my weight loss, he did cause he knows I like them. Again , it's not really all that helpful. I bought them and ate them(did share them though lol). So baby steps, I guess, those habits will not change overnight. I dont want to give up chocolate or nerds or the other favorite junk I enjoy. I want to learn how to eat it in moderation, occasionally! See that word, occasionally, I think the definition escapes my mind most of the time. I want to learn how to eat sensibly at a Minnesota pot luck(Seriously, Im not sure its even possible). Tommorrow night(the very night before my weigh in morning) is my sons wrestling banquet. As typical, its a potluck. Its not like each dish has a nutrition label stating serving size and calorie counts. Its near impossible to take just a little bit of stuff, although Im sure gonna try. How do I handle these events? I cant skip them. I dont think its very wise to starve myself all day -- then Ill just overeat at the meal. My plan is to get some exercise in ahead of time -- a bike ride, wii fit or even another run. That way i have some extra calories that I can use to take up the slack. Next Im going to try and eyeball 1/2 cup portions. I dont really think its realistic, nor sanitary to take my measuring cup and serve out of that. But Im thinking of taking the cup in my purse and measuring it out at my table and giving the extra to my teenage son. I plan on allowing myself 1 dessert. And last but not least, Im in charge of bringing a salad. So at least I will know what the calorie count of my own dish is! Its beautiful here in Minnesota, 45 degrees, and I got a nice 3 mile run in! I did 3 miles in 33:12, 11:04 pace. I was pleased to be able to do some negative splits as well -- 1st mile 11:31, 2nd mile 10:53 and the last mile 10:46. Ill have you know those last two miles kicked my butt! Megamom

No comments:

Post a Comment